- This event has passed.
Destination Indonesia: Enjoy the Best of Food, Music, Dance and More…
September 21, 2019 @ 12:00 pm - 4:00 pm PDT
Destination Indonesia: The annual festival is organized by the Consulate General of Indonesia in Vancouver.
Discover Indonesian Cultures at the Indonesia Festival this September 21 at Nikkei National Museum in Burnaby
The cultural event is designed to enhance ties between Indonesia, Canada and Vancouver’s international community.
The festival highlights the nation’s rich and colourful heritage through its delicious gastronomy, performing arts, and crafts.
- Watch rhythmic dances from Central Java, Bali, Sulawesi and Kalimantan and enjoy rarely seen West Javanese music and dances
- Sway to the classic sound of the Javanese Gamelan and Angklung music
- Savour authentic Indonesian food and drink, from instant noodles, tempeh, peanut sauce to kolang-kaling (arenga fruit)
- Sip some of the world’s most exquisite coffee from various Indonesia islands
- Shop for unique Indonesian wood-carvings, furniture, apparels, gifts and crafts including gorgeous batik and weavings
- Workshops: Angklung music and batik making. Bring home your batik souvenir
Angklung music is designated a UNESCO Intangible Cultural Heritage. The Indonesian Angklung is a musical instrument crafted by suspending two to four bamboo tubes in a bamboo frame, bound with rattan cords. The tone resonate those of the American hand bells.
Did You Know That INDONESIA Is The World’s
- Largest archipelago to form a single country
- Second (2nd) most bio-diverse country, after Brazil
- Fourth (4th) most populous country
The country’s archipelago spans two oceans—the Pacific and the Indian. Of the 17,508 to 18,306 islands that formed the archipelago, only 8,844 have names, and 922 are permanently inhabited.
Indonesia is home to the Komodo Dragons, the world’s largest living lizard. Explore this fascinating country at Destination Indonesia.