Savour the flavours of Piedmont, the heartland of Italy’s cuisine. Piedmontese Ravioli is provided by Carlo Zarri, author of Piedmont Sensations — A Journey through the Region’s Garden of Delights.
½ kg plain flour
1 glass warm water
Mix all the ingredients together for at least 10 minutes and roll out very thinly on a wooden board.
1 clove of garlic
A walnut-sized piece of butter
Boiled chopped vegetables
Small pieces of beef or pork
Pepper and nutmeg
- Fry the onion with the garlic and the herbs, then remove the garlic.
- Add the meat, cut into small cubes and when this is cooked, add the white wine.
- When the wine has evaporated, add a little water, add salt and pepper to taste and cook with the lid half-covered.
- Put the cooked meat and vegetables through a mincer, and then add both together in a frying pan with the butter.
- Add the nutmeg and leave to cool, then, add the egg to make a paste.
How to make the Ravioli:
- Place a small amount of filling, about the size of a hazelnut, on the pasta.
- Then close it with a pinch (the ‘plin’) and cut around it with the pasta cutter.