Tom Yum Goong is a signature Thai soup.
Recipe Courtesy: Royal Thai Consulate General, Vancouver
Health Benefits: Vitamin A, B1, B2, C, Beta-carotene, Calcium, Iron, Phosphorus
Preparation: 20 Minutes Cooking: 20 Minutes Total: 40 Minutes
3 large peeled prawns
100 grams straw mushrooms
100 grams lightly crushed lemongrass,
chopped into one inch pieces
2 grams coriander roots
3 leaves shredded kaffir lime
300 grams stock
1 – 2 lightly crushed bird’s eye chilies
2 tbsp fish sauce
2 tbsp lime juice
5 coriander leaves
1 tbsp chili paste
100 grams evaporated milk
- Boil the stock and add prawn shells, lemongrass and coriander roots. Continue boiling for a few minutes.
- Sieve out the ingredients. Bring the stock back to a boil and add straw mushrooms.
- Add prawns and wait until it returns to a full boil, then add fish sauce and kaffir lime leaves.
- Add lime juice and chilies. Serve Tom Yum Goong in a bowl. Garnish with coriander leaves
(mix with chili paste and evaporated milk as an alternative of Tom Yum Num Khon).
* Fish sauce becomes aromatic only when it is added to the boiling soup.
* Lime juice becomes aromatic only when it is added after the soup is removed from heat.