Wild swimming has gained popularity over the past years. With soaring summer temperatures, the joy of taking an al-fresco dip in refreshing natural waters has never felt more appealing.
The movement was inspired partly by writer, environmentalist and film-maker, Roger Deakin. Deakin journeyed across Britain, swimming through the network of rivers, lakes and rock pools.
It’s great way to explore beauty in secluded places inexpensively. Wild swimming places include any natural body of water such as ocean, sea, river, lake and stream.
Canada: Top 10 Places
Did you know that close to 7.8 per cent of Canada’s terrain is covered by fresh water? Canada is home to nearly 14 per cent of the world’s lakes with surface areas over 500 square kilometres .
Surveys suggest that the nation may well has as many as two million lakes, cited thecanadianencyclopedia.ca.
The 10 absolute best beaches from British Columbia to Prince Edward Island, according to Chatelaine Magazine.
- Skaha Beach, Penticton, British Columbia
- Parlee Beach, Parlee Beach Provincial Park, Pointe-du-Chêne, New Brunswick
- Singing Sands Beach, Basin Head Provincial Park, Souris, Prince Edward Island
- Cobourg Beach, Cobourg, Ontario
- Kathleen Lake, Kluane National Park and Reserve, Yukon
- Manitou Beach, Little Manitou Lake, Saskatchewan
- Wasaga Beach, Wasaga Beach Provincial Park, Ontario
- Hopewell Rocks, The Rocks Provincial Park, Hopewell Cape, New Brunswick
- Grand Beach, Grand Beach Provincial Park, Lake Winnipeg, Manitoba
- Outlet Beach, Sandbanks Provincial Park, Prince Edward County, Ontario
10 Best U.S. Beaches
The annual list of best beaches in America is compilied by Dr. Stephen P. Leatherman who goes by the name, Dr. Beach. Leatherman is the professor and director of the Laboratory for Coastal Research at Florida International University.
Dr. Beach’s annual survey covers some 650 U.S. beaches, based on 50 criteria including cleanliness, sand quality, water temperature, facilities and safety.
- Siesta Beach Sarasota, Florida
- Kapalua Bay Beach, Maui, Hawaii
- Ocracoke Lifeguarded Beach, Outer Banks of North Carolina
- Grayton Beach State Park Florida panhandle
- Coopers Beach, Southampton, New York
- Coast Guard Beach, Cape Cod, Massachusetts
- Caladesi Island State Park Dunedin/Clearwater, Florida
- Hapuna Beach State Park, Big Island, Hawaii
- Coronado Beach, San Diego, California
- Beachwalker Park Kiawah Island, South Carolina
Top 10 American Freshwater Lakes
These are the most georgous freshwater lakes to swim in the U.S., according to Live Science.
- Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore
- Lake Tahoe
- Tettegouche State Park
- Emerald Lake
- Crater Lake
- Bottomless Lakes
- Lake Crescent
- Flathead Lake in Montana
- Pyramid Lake
- Norris Lake