Thai Fried Noodles with Shrimp (Pad Thai Goong Sod)
Recipe Courtesy: Royal Thai Consulate General, Vancouver
Health Benefits: Protein, Carbohydrate, Calcium, Phosphorous, Iron and Vitamin C
Preparation: 15 Minutes Cooking: 10 Minutes Total: 25 Minutes
( One serving )
5 large peeled shrimps
1 tsp chopped garlic
3 tbsp vegetable oil
2 tbsp fish sauce
1 tbsp tamarind juice
1 tbsp finely chopped shallot
1 tbsp salted turnip, finely chopped
1/ 2 tsp red pepper flakes
50 g palm sugar
10 g dried shrimp
50 g firm tofu, thinly sliced
150 g thin noodles
100 g bean sprouts
20 g chives, cut in one inch lengths
1 lime, halved
- To soften the noodles, soak them in water for 5 minutes.
- Heat 1 tbsp of vegetable oil in a pan, fry the garlic and shallot, then add the
thin noodles and sprinkle with water until the noodles are soft.
- Add the fish sauce, sugar and tamarind juice. Stir quickly to prevent the noodles from sticking together.
- Heat another 1 tbsp oil and add the salted turnip, tofu, shrimps and dried
shrimp. Stir and mix together with the noodles and push to one side of the pan
leaving space to heat the remaining 1 tbsp oil.
- Crack the egg into the pan and spread thinly. Mix in the prepared noodles, add chives and bean sprouts. Transfer to a serving dish and sprinkle with roasted peanuts, squeeze in the lime, and garnish with the uncooked chives and bean sprouts.
- Gradually add the cooking oil.
- Constantly check the noodles while cook.