Updated: July 14, 2018
Bastille Day is the French National Day. When it comes to festivity, there is simply no party like a French party. On July 14, France brings the spirit of conviviality and the art of living to Vancouver.
Join the French community in celebrating Bastille Day at the Roundhouse Community Arts and Recreation Centre (181 Roundhouse Mews) in Vancouver’s Yaletown starting at 10 a.m. The FREE All-Day festivity welcomes visitors of all ages.
Bastille Day or la fête nationale (as known to French people), marks the anniversary of the invasion of the Bastille (medieval fortress and prison) that was notorious for holding political prisoners at the onset of the French Revolution in Paris on July 14, 1789.
The historic event triggered the French Revolution, ended the monarch rule and initiated the establishment of the French republic.
France is a nation of celebration, conviviality, and sharing that ought to be enjoyed. Visitors will be spoiled for choice when it comes to getting a taste of France at Bastille Day.
Related: France’s Global Culinary Campaign
Activities at a Glance
FRENCH MARKET (10 a.m. – 8 p.m.)
- Appease your tastebuds to delicious crepes and croque-monsieurs lovingly made by the Bastille Day Festival Team.
- Have fun sampling delectable delicacies curated by local French businesses including Faubourg, La Baguette et compagnie, Oliver’s Bread and Damien’s Belgian Waffles.
- Savour an assortment of cheeses and with a delicious glass of good French wine or beer
- Experience French immersion
- Mingle and play games with the Whitecaps FC
- Browse car exhibits
Free Concerts (2 p.m. – 8 p.m.)
Listen and dance to the rhythm of French music artists:
- Joshua Minsky: 12:15 – 1:15 p.m.
- Alisa Blanc: 3:15 – 4:15 p.m.
- Van Django: 4:30 – 5:15 p.m.
- Manu Reymond: 5:30 – 6:30 p.m.
- Early Spirit: 6:45 – 7:45 p.m.
Live Painting (Starting at 10 a.m.)
Join other visitors to create a masterpiece on France and Bastille Day
Vintage Car Parade (4:30 p.m.)
Graines de Chefs team will help kids discover new food and tastes.
- Fruits and Vegetables Mysteries every hour on the hour, between 12 p.m. and 3 p.m.
- Healthy Food game competitions and quiz every hour on the half hour, between 12:30 p.m. and 3:30 p.m.
Raffle Draw (7:45 p.m.)
Your $5 ticket purchase may win you prizes including a chance to travel to Paris on Air France, Whitcap game tickets, cooking classes and more.
Experience and celebrate French culture, l’esprit de convivialité (spirit of conviviality) and art de vivre (art of living) at the Bastille Day Festival with your family and friends.