Updated: June 23, 2016
The summer solstice marks the first summer day in the northern hemisphere. The longest day in the annual calendar allowing northern hemisphere residents to enjoy about 17 hours of daylight.
This event occurs when planet earth’s northern axis of rotation is most tilted toward the sun. This year is the first time in 70 years that a full moon coincide with the summer solstice on the same day. The Algonquin tribes purportedly coined the full moon the ‘strawberry moon’ as it signifies the onset of the strawberry season.
Summer means intense heat for most in the northern hemisphere. How to keep cool when the mercury rises? Emore Campbell of New York shares with GlobalEAT a collection of 10 delicious lemon inspired cocktails to refresh you and jazz up your outdoor entertaining this summer.
Her favourite spritz is the Tall Blonde. Campbell says she loves the Tall Blond for its gentle bite – the lemony tart of the perfect margarita, the fizzy taste of the Tom Collins and the sweetness of a fresh glass of lemonade wrapped in one.
1 oz Avion silver tequila
1 oz Aperol
1 oz Grapefruit
0.5 St. Germaine
Glassware: round wine glass
Garnish: Lemon & Grapefruit Twist
- Pour ingredients into an ice filled mixing glass and shake well.
- Strain into an ice filled cocktail glass.
- Top with club soda and garnish with Lemon & Grapefruit Twist.
Recipe by Bâoli Miami
Blueberry Lemon Drop
3 oz. Smirnoff Blueberry
1 oz. DeKuyper Triple Sec
1.5 oz. fresh lemon sour
Sugar Rim. Garnish with 3 blueberries.
- Combine all ingredients in iced shaker & shake 10-15 times until chilled.
- Strain into sugar rimmed martini glass.
Recipe by Sullivan’s Steakhouse Austin
Blue Island Lemonade
1.25 oz Absolut Raspberri
0.75 oz Blue Curacao
0.50 oz Fresh Lemon Juice
1.00 oz House Simple Syrup
1.50 oz Soda Water
Recipe by Spirit of New York
Courtesan Gerties Cobblere
2 oz vodka
1 oz maraschino liqueur
1 oz fresh lemon juice
½ oz simple syrup
2 orange slices
Recipe by Hilton New Orleans Riverside
- Muddle cherries and oranges in bottom of mixing glass.
- Add all ingredients. Add ice to tin. Shake well.
- Strain into a short crushed ice filled glass.
- Garnish with a cherry and orange slice.
1½ oz Tito’s Handmade vodka
¾ oz St~Germain
¾ oz lemongrass syrup*
¾ oz fresh lemon juice
½ oz pineapple juice
8 loose mint leaves
- Combine all ingredients and shake well.
- Strain into a chilled martini coupe.
- Garnish with a single mint leaf.
10 stalks lemongrass
1 quart simple syrup (1:1 sugar to water ratio)
- Wash lemongrass, remove outer skin and chop stalks coarsely
- Combine with one quart of simple syrup in a blender and blend for 30 seconds.
- Leave to stand for one hour.
- Strain out solids.
- Bottle and keep refrigerated.
Recipe by Living Room Bar at W South Beach
Michigan Lemonade: Golden Sun
1.5 oz Patron Citronage tequila
0.5 oz Lemoncello
0.5 oz simple syrup
5 basil leaves
Recipe by Mixologist, Kellie Rowland of the Amway Grand Plaza and the JW Marriott Grand Rapid
- A splash (approximately 0.5oz ) of the following fresh squeezed juices: lemon, lime and grapefruit.
- Build over ice in a short glass.
- Shake vigorously and pour all contents back into the glass.
- Garnish with lemon wheel.
2.5 oz pisco
1 Dash angostura bitters
1 egg white
1 oz lemon juice
Whisk, shake and serve over ice.
Recipe by The Westin La Paloma Resort & Spa’s Contigo Latin Kitchen
2 oz. 10 Cane Rum
2 tsp honey syrup
2 tsp lemon juice
Finished with 1oz. Torre Oria Sparkling Cava
Served chilled in a champagne flute
Spicy Cranberry Lemonade
1¼ oz Gin
2 oz Cranberry Juice
1 half freshly squeezed lemon
Pinch of Papaya Hot Sauce
2 Spoons of Diced Cucumber
½ oz Monin Pomegranate Syrup[/vc_column_text][/vc_column]
Html code here! Replace this with any non empty text and that's it.
- Mix in a blender with ice.
- Pour into a hurricane glass.
- Garnish with a thin slice of Cucumber and Jalapeno.
Recipe by Hilton Aruba Caribbean Resort & Casino
The Tall Blonde
1 oz Vodka
1 oz fresh lemon juice
1 oz of Countreau (or Triple Sec)
1 oz Cocchi Americano (a sweet Vermouth- you can also use Lillet)
A twist of lemon
A splash of Soda Water
Serve on the rocks with a straw in a Tom Collins glass.
Recipe by Hotel Giraffe, New York
Click here to learn more about the cocktails.
Images and Recipes Provided by: QUINN PR