U.S. best beaches for 2023 ratings are out. Three beaches in Hawaii and two in Florida were placed among the top 10 best beaches in America.
St. George Island State Park off the Florida Panhandle took top spot of the 650 public beaches rated by Dr. Beach. Dr. Beach a.k.a. Stephen Leatherman is a professor in the Department of Earth & Environment at Florida International University.
Fifty criteria are used to evaluate the beaches. They include sand type, wave action, water cleanliness, safety, management of beach environment and its facilities, presence of wildlife and many other factors.
Related: Wild Swimming: Top 10 Best Spots in Canada and USA
Below are the top 10 U.S. best beaches for 2023
- St. George Island State Park, Florida Panhandle
- Duke Kahanamoku Beach, Oahu, Hawaii
- Coopers Beach, Southampton, New York
- Caladesi Island State Park, Dunedin/Clearwater, Florida
- Lighthouse Beach, Buxton, Outer Banks of North Carolina
- Coronado Beach, San Diego
- Wailea Beach, Maui, Hawaii
- Beachwalker Park, Kiawah Island, South Carolina
- Poipu Beach, Kauai, Hawaii
- Coast Guard Beach, Cape Cod, Massachusetts
Read more here.